1. Ms Nancy didn't mind at all ______ to the ceremony.
A. being not invited B. not being invited C. not inviting D. not to be invited
2. "_____ your meeting is!" he offered them his sincere congratulations.
A. How a great success B. What a great success C. How great success D. What great success
3. We must remember that _____fashion is not the most important thing in _______ life.
A. /; the B. /; / C. the; / D. the; the
4. It _____ quite a few years _____ the accused was declared innocent and set free.
A. was; since B. is; that C. will be; when D. was; before
5. The professor said he could talk on _____ interested the audience.
A. any topic B. which topic
C. whichever topic D. the topic he thought it
6.Under no circumstance _____ to tell lies to parents.
A. children are allowed B. are children allowed
C. children will allow D. will children allow
7.Modern science and technology has _____ communication between people far apart.
A. made convenient B. made it convenient
C. made it convenient for D. made it convenient to
8.I heard that you really had a wonderful time at John's birthday party, _____?
A. didn't I B. didn't you C. hadn't you D. will you
9.The great use of school education is not so much to teach you things _____ to teach you the art of learning.
A. as B. that C. than D. but
10.No matter how frequently _____ the works of Beethoven always attract a large number of people.
A. performing B. performed C. to be performed D. being performed
11._____ their real economic situations, they got some relief fund from the government.
A. Considering B. Considered C. Having been considered D. Being considered
12.Tina _____ have known the truth, or she would have told us.
A. mustn't B. shouldn't C. can't D. needn't
13.There are some police cars in front. What do you suppose _____?
A. is the matter B. is happened C. is the wrong D. the trouble is
14._____ of water makes Death Valley a desert, but it is by no means devoid.
A. Lacking B. Being lack C. Because of lack D. Lack
15. In recent years much more emphasis has been put______ developing the students productive skills.
A. onto B. in C. over D. on
16. A survey was carried out on the death rate of those who were infected by SARS, ________were surprising.
A. as results B. which results C. the results of it D. the results of which
17. The organization broke no rules, but ______had it acted responsibly.
A. neither B. so C. either D. both
18. Many workers were organized to clear away remained of the World Trade Center.
A. those B. that C. what D. where
19. My train arrive in New York at eight o'clock tonight. The plane I would like to take from there ______by then.
A. would leave B. will have left C. has left D. had left
20. The professor could hardly find sufficient grounds _____his arguments in favor of the new theory.
A. to be based on B. to base on C. which to base on D. on which to base